Theft happens. 🙁
The best we can do is to properly lock up our bicycles and register our bikes with an organization like Bike Index.
If the worst happens though, report the theft to the police. Make sure to provide as much information as possible including:
- Serial Number
- Special and distinguishing parts
Locking it Right
Hints and tips from our colleagues at Bike Pittsburgh:
- Your frame is the most valuable part of your bike. Secure your frame.
- Use a U-Lock as your primary lock. Cables can be used as secondary security for wheels and other removable parts.
- Lock to permanent fixtures such as a bike rack. Signs may be loose. Railings may be broken. Trees may be cut (not to mention repeated locking to trees harms them). Do yourself a favor and double check that what you’re locking to is locked to the ground.
- Don’t leave your bike in one place for long amounts of time, unless this place is inside your house or office within sight. Unscrupulous eyes may be coveting a bike that’s locked in the same place day after day.
- Take a picture of the bike & record its serial number.